Running Wing FTP behind a proxy

Please post here if you have problems in using Wing FTP Server.
eordona

Running Wing FTP behind a proxy

Post by eordona »

Hi, I am trying to get this software running, and am having an issue with it. This software is running on a Linux (RHEL8) server, behind a Cloudflare reverse proxy.

It seems that the server keeps terminating sessions... I'm getting the error "Session has expired" after logging to the web client. I did disable the option "Administration > Server > Settings > General Settings > Security > Restrict a web session to a single IP address" but that has not helped.

In stock Apache http daemon there is an option to utilize X-Forwarded-For (XFF) request header to identify the true originating IP address of a client connecting to a web server through a proxy server. This is via the Apache module: mod_remoteip

I'm not sure what your web server is based off of, but I think this would be the proper implementation to eliminate the issue, as the current settings above that you currently provide just ignores the fact that the IP appears to change. Most importantly because in order for anti-hammering to work one needs the real IP, not the IPs of the proxies.

Here is what I see in the log, I have hidden the username and first 2 octets in the IP address for security reasons:

[06] Tue, 06 Dec 2022 09:11:12 (0000001) User '<username_hidden>' logged in ok! (IP:<IP_hidden>.131.214)
[06] Tue, 06 Dec 2022 09:16:17 (0000002) User '<username_hidden>' logged in ok! (IP:<IP_hidden>.254.22)
[06] Tue, 06 Dec 2022 09:16:27 (0000003) User '<username_hidden>' logged in ok! (IP:<IP_hidden>.254.23)
[06] Tue, 06 Dec 2022 09:16:33 (0000004) User '<username_hidden>' logged in ok! (IP:<IP_hidden>.254.22)

You can see the IP address jumps around rapidly. The user is the same user, using the same PC / IP address.

Do you have a solution for this / can you implement this as an option?

Thanks!
FTP
Site Admin

Re: Running Wing FTP behind a proxy

Post by FTP »

OK, please upgrade to the latest version 7.1.6 and disable the option "Server > Settings > General Settings > Security > Restrict a web session to a single IP address", I think you can login the web client even if the client IP changes frequently.

If still no success, please contact us via the support email.